Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Fresh Peach Cobbler

Since we now live in the South, I have a never-ending supply of fresh, local peaches at my fingertips all summer long. I began to look for a peach cobbler recipe and, at first, was actually a little discouraged. Many of the peach cobbler recipes I saw called for canned peaches. I suppose I could have substituted fresh, but for whatever reason, I wasn't interested in the recipe when I saw "canned peaches". I'm glad I waited it out, because I finally came across this recipe and have made it at least half a dozen times the last 2 months! It's quick and easy to put together and don't be surprised if the pan doesn't last very long.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Fresh Peach Cobbler
Adapted from: Taste of Home

Ingredients:
5-6 peaches, peeled & sliced
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash ground nutmeg
3/4 cup milk

Directions:
In a bowl, combine peaches and 3/4 cup sugar; set aside. Pour butter into an 8-in. square baking dish. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and remaining sugar; stir in milk just until combined. Pour over butter. Top with the peaches. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.

My Modifications:
The original recipe actually calls for 2 large peaches...this is simply not enough! I like peaches with my cobbler, thank you. Also, it's absolutely not necessary to use 1/2 cup butter. Half to 3/4 of a stick is plenty. Also, {probably because I use more peaches!} sometimes the dough has a harder time rising above the peaches. I just check periodically and push the peaches down and towards the sides of the dish and it seems to do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment