Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Breakfast Casserole

The first time I made this recipe was for our Sunday School class. After I finished preparing it the night before, I started to get nervous...it can be a risky little game to make something for other people that you've never tried before! However, it turned out really well and is a definite "will-make-again".

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Breakfast Casserole
Adapted from: Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 cup half & half
2 Tbsp. green onion
salt & pepper
butter to grease pan
6-8 slices Texas Toast
1 lb. pork sausage
1 cup (or more!) grated cheddar cheese

Directions:
In a small bowl, beat the eggs until they loosen up. Add the half and half, and green onions. Mix well, highly season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Butter a 12 by 10-inch baking pan. Line the pan with the bread, cutting and rearranging, if needed. Sprinkle the bread with the cooked sausage and cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the entire pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook covered for 25 to 30 minutes or until the egg mixture is set.

My Modifications:
I added green peppers and much more than 1 cup cheese. I used extra sharp cheddar, but I think any would do. Think of this dish as a big omelet over toast. Anything you would put in an omelet would be delicious in this. I also used 7 eggs...you could use more, if desired. Just increase the cooking time. Make sure to butter the pan really well to avoid stickage!

No comments:

Post a Comment