Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cleanin' Out the Fridge

I've really been making an effort lately to eat thru things either in the pantry or in the fridge. So, I was thinking of how I was going to use those super cheap-o (but small) tortilla wraps I got a while back. So...I thought of quesadilla's!! I've never made a quesadilla in my life, but I figured how hard could it be?! It wasn't.

First, I pre-heated the oven to 350 and diced up 2 chicken breasts in about 1-inch pieces, while melting about 2 tbsp. butter in a skillet. Place the chicken pieces in the butter to cook and sprinkle with some salt/pepper (or any seasoning of your choice).

While that was cooking (I didn't think to start taking pictures until the next step) I arranged the tortilla's on a baking sheet and added a layer of shredded cheese. I diced up some red onion and added that on top of the cheese.

Then, I chopped up banana peppers and added those with the onions. (I also used up the jar of peppers...part of my cleaning-out exercise. Yay!)

Then, I added the diced chicken to the mix. Notice anything different?? :o)

I realized that I had enough chicken for another quesadilla, and they actually come in a pack of 10, so I could use that up also! The 5th one only had chicken & cheese on it.

Then, I added a (generous) amount of shredded cheese on top of the chicken. Yep. I used a whole bag of cheese up, too.

Top each one with another quesadilla and you're ready to bake!

I baked them for 5 minutes, then flipped and baked for 3 more minutes. Once done baking, cut into fourths and serve with sour cream and salsa!


This was definitely a "will make again". Plus, you can add whatever ingredients you want and need to use up! All in all, I used up a total of 3 things from fridge, have lunch for hubby tomorrow, AND he really enjoyed them. I'd say it was a success.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me, cleaning the fridge is one of my goals for today. So, I better quit blog hopping and get busy. And, thanks for the inspiration to make something interesting out of those leftovers. I have tortillas so I may just do quesadillas also. I did pizza a few days ago, using up extra tomatoes,chicken, and black olives. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now I am HUNGRY!! Your quesadillas look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete